UAV Flight Mission
- Coordinates: 50°44’38.50″N, 120°30’51.43″W
- Airspace Classification: E
- Flight Difficulty Level: Intermediate
- Obstacles: Trees and Deadfall, Small Building, Steel Structures
- Hazards: Water, Vegetation, Wind
Airspace Classification Notification
Tranquille River is located within the 9.0 Km radius of the Kamloops Flight Service Station (CYKA – FSS). Unmanned Aerial Vehicle / Drone operators are required to follow protocols as outlined in the Canadian Aviation Regulations to fly at this location. Please reference the Canadian Aviation Regulations and see our UAV Regulations page for more information.
UAV Flight Mission Notes
As with the Jamieson Creek flight mission area, piloting an unmanned aerial vehicle over moving water has its own set of challenges. Be cautious when flying over water. There is good satellite reception in this area (> 10). The area is located in a relatively open area, which will allow you to pilot your UAV without too many restrictions from obstacles such as trees or embankments.
Some of the aerial photos and aerial video was captured within 15 cm of the water. Care has to be taken to stay away from rapids, that are creating spray or mist, to keep your UAV dry and the camera lens cover clean (same as Jamieson Creek).
The water station area is fenced off, and has ‘no trespassing signs’ posted. Take care if you decide to cross the river. As of June, the water was still running strong making the crossing risky. Ensure you have good footwear.
Fly safe and enjoy the beauty Kamloops has to offer!
- Watch for manned aircraft
- Be bear aware and watch for wildlife
- Slips, trips, falls – wet rocks, undergrowth, strong currents
- Bug spray; lots of mosquitoes
- Proper footwear with ankle support
- Water for hydration
Please help us keep our environment green
See below for coordinates, directions and a map for getting to Tranquille River Trail.
Y in Road: 50°43’31.72″N, 120°30’15.41″W
Turn-off to parking area: 50°43’39.17″N, 120°31’14.10″W